Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS X: 10.0.4 to 10.1.x update??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2001
US
Is there a free update from OS X version 10.0.4 to 10.1.x, or is Apple making customers pay for that? I checked their website but was unable to find anything.

Thanks,
-Ron

it is a paid upgrade, but 10.2 is coming in late August which is also a paid upgrade $129 so it may be wise to wait for it I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thanks. But, why would I want to pay so much? Is there much difference between 10.0.4 and 10.2 (or 10.1 for that matter)?

I mean, that's an awful lot of money for a minor version upgrade. If it's that big of a change, they should change the major version to 11.

I'm new to Apple, so it just surprises me how much everything costs! I'm used to Microsoft charging $89 or $99 for a MAJOR version upgrade. This is more money than that and it appears to be only a minor version change. Heck, many vendors give minor version upgrades (or updates) for free.

Now, I don't want to anger anyone or get into a long drawn-out debate on whose OS is better. Speaking objectively, each OS has it's advantages and disadvantages. I am traditionally a PC person (technician and a network admin), but I have an iBook that someone loaned me (possibly for good) and I'm trying to "see the light". It's just that it's a little difficult to do that when it's sooooo cloudy with high costs!

Heck, I could be a commercial for them, if I could just see what I'm paying MORE for. A better OS? Sorry, that's subjective...a matter of opinion. You'll have to do better than that. I need specific reasons why I should pay almost twice as much for a computer, more for the OS, and wait longer for new software releases (usually).

I'm sorry. I'm ranting. I really don't want to anger anyone or start a flame thread. I've just worked myself up into a frenzy about forking over $129 for a minor OS revision (if I want it, which I probably do). I suppose I should just wait for a response to my question about what I'm getting for my money. Maybe it's worth it.

Any thoughts on what I get for $129 that I don't already have in version 10.0.4?

-Ron

Actualy Sun Microsystems had to do this, whiners resented 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 ,2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 so they went to 7, 8 and 9 and dropped the 2. in the literature to avoid whining.

Lets be clear you NEVER HAVE to take an upgrade, you have our permission to stay 10.0.0.4 forever My Macs won't go beyond MacOS 8.6

Should you choose to upgrade, the 10.2 version is $129 I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Ron:

I aggree with many of your frustrations. I am a life-long mac devotee, though I work in a PC enviornment. In my opinion, Apple made a mistake--perhaps a dreadful one--with the 10.2 upgrade.

It is a major upgrade, and one that warrents being called 11.x. However, Apple wanted to keep the OS X motiff alive longer. I predict that this will cause problems, particularly with new converts. I think that Apple should have either postponed this upgrade, or named it 11.x, or simply given it away. They may regret this.

You, however, should realize that it is a major upgrade. I feel betrayed because I purchased the original 10 just a few months before the surprise announcement of the major $120 upgrade. Had Apple informed its precious fiew devotees like me, I would have waited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back