Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS Installation, XP Home hangs on "installing devices"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ispyderman98

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2003
US
I'm working on a client's PC. After haveing determined that the system required the mobo, cpu, and the power supply replaced due to a overheat and cheap component issue, I'm working on getting XP up an running again. The system is practically brand new besides the HDD, CD-ROM, 3 1/2" DD, and Case. So, before installing the new componets, I ran sysprep to strip the system so I could install the new componets with out trouble, or so I thought. Once I got the system back up, Windows would not boot, it jut kept rebooting after getting to a certain driver. So, figuring Windows is hosed, I started to repair the OS. Ok, now when I get to "installig devices" at about 50% through I just hangs. It's not like the system has locked up. The progress indicator keeps running and the Microsoft ads keep flashing. I've removed or disabled every known device besides what is necessary to get going. The mobo is an Intel D845GERG2 with a P4 2.4GHz. I will eventually be thowing a ATI 8500LE board in with it also. I'm sure it's not a compatibility issue with the hardware given that the componets are new. I want to avoid a fresh install at all cost if possible. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back