Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS has to be clean installed to recognize modem????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyro

Technical User
May 21, 2001
US
I am woking on a computer for a friend. she bought it from a store and I can't crack open the case without voiding the warranty. it is a k7sem v1.0 motherboard made by ECS, with an athalon duron 1200 proccessor.the chipset is a SiS [630/730 I think]. I was installing windows 98.

The motherboard has an AMR slot fot the modem. I was not able to get the modem loaded no matter what I tried. I tried the drivers that came on the cd and I downloaded the drivers from the website. neither of them worked. The drivers would load but when I tried the diagnostics tool that comes with the "modems" icon in the control panel I got a message saying that the modem was not responding and to make sure the port was set up correctly. I tried fiddling around with the ports [it was on COM 1 with no conflicts]but nothing helped. I enabled both com ports in the bios and alternated between enabling and disabling the modem setting in the bios[something about a SiS(the chipset)modem]. Nothing worked.
I called the company that sold my friend the computer and they said that once the modem driver was installed incorrectly the only way to get the computer to recognize the modem was to do a clean install of the operating system and then do it right the first time. I tried that and nothing helped.
I don't know what to do. If anybody could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
the link to this computer on the manufacturer's web site is:

Thank You Very Much

I got the problem resolved. The reason the modem wasn't coming up was that it wasn't seated properly. I couldn't open it myself without voiding the warranty. The reason why the guy from the store told me to reinstall the OS was because he wasn't interested in getting involved with the registry, since his store doesn't do software support.

tyro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back