Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS 10.5.4, Epson PX710W and BT Home Hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BionicJohn

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
Please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place, but it's a multi-brand issue.

A friend with a Mac OS X 10.5.4. has recently purchased an Epson Stylus Photo PX710W.

Via the USB port, the printer is fine. However it's proving impossible to set up the wireless link, via a BT Home Hub.

We insert the installation disc, follow the instructions to the letter, but the the process always halts when the printer is searching for the wi-fi. Mobile phones, Androids and Kindles link instantly to the router and work fine, so the router seems OK, though its internal menu are a nightmare.

We've tried setting up the link manually on the printer's mennu (SSID and password) but it still fails to connect. The menu system does not seem to allow for a fixed IP Address to be set, and similarly there's no facility on the router menu to reserve an IP Address. It's all supposed to be automatic and foolproof.

Status printouts give mixed messages, such as "No WLAN found", and then lower down the page a list of six or seven SSIDs (including ours) with the channels and password encoding.

Epson Support are next to useless, just asking basic stuff about if it's plugged in correctly and the like - we don't seem to be able to get some one sufficiently savvy to suggest there's a fault, and if so where it is, even if it's sat in the chair!

I'm not sufficiently clued up about MACs, and wonder what the printer listed as "PX710W (Bonjour)" is. Can anyone throw any light on it?

Many thanks.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

John,
If the Mac is reporting "PX710W (Bonjour)" in the Printer list, that indicates that the Printer has joined the wireless network that the Mac is also on. The entry in the printer list without Bonjour will be the method to print wired. I recall that it can take a moment or two for wireless printers to populate the available printer list.
(BTW, Bonjour is Apple's term for Zero configuration networking, formerly "Rendezvous" - obviously someone in Cupertino likes French words)

soi là, soi carré

Cheers, I'll check that out.

One day I may understand Apple logic…

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back