Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Original pm/business-speak bs buzzword? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmr777

Programmer
Aug 16, 2006
US
What started the whole stupid mess?
I think it was "Mission Statement". I first heard that gem in the early 90s. Gave me the first intimations of the avalanche to come.
Other candidates:
"Paradigm Shift"
"Win-Win

I truly think a lot of this started from the military. I remember having to write performance evaluations on the troops that I supervised. There was always pressure to ensure that there was no "white space" on the evaluation forms. That forced you to use filler words and colorful language to otherwise say that Carl "did his job". Much like the "BS Generator" from above. I got: "globally fabricate highly efficient virtualization". Perfect for use on an evaluation!

LoPath
Maintain HiPath 4000 V5 & V6, OpenScape Xpert V4 & V6, OpenScape Xpressions V7, OpenScape Contact Center V8, OpenScape Voice V9

Actually... "Win-win" is part of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. It will change your whole outlook on life. A paradigm shift, if you will. :)

As far as mission statements, I don't think that a clearly defined mission statement is a bad thing. It keeps you focused on what you do and for whom you do it.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back