Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Original Alias in GAL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggal

MIS
Nov 26, 2002
US
I am running exchange 2003 on Server 2003 with AD. All users run Outlook 2000 & 2003 as their mail clients. All 2003 clients use Outlook Cashed Mode. One of my managers requested that a user immediately change his Alias. I changed his Alias under his UserID in AD > Exchange Features. Here's were it gets weird. Some users can still see the original Alias in the GAL and others see the new Alias. I had all users manually download the address book in Outlook.

Anyone know if AD cashes this info somewhere?
Any suggestions are appreciated as my manager is growing impatient. Its been over 2 weeks since I made the change and I cannot resolve this issue ????

Well, I am no expert on that end, but I do know a couple of places I would consider looking.

First, I realize that there are more than one place for "contacts" and "addresses" to be stored in outlook. For instance, where I work, we are on Exchage Server as well (I think the upgraded to 2003 a few months ago), but I noticed something strange for everyone when we went to Outlook 2003 on the client pcs. I found that the personal "contacts" that was showing in Outlook was not available to Outlook emails - very weird. So, we found that there were a couple of things we had to manually do to get them to show up in Outlook.

All of that story to say that it is possible that the addresses are stored in 2 places, and that some are referencing one, while others are referencing the other.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, open a blank email message in Outlook, and click the "To" button for selecting recipients.
On the top right-hand corner of the next window, you'll see "Show Names from the:", and there you can select Global Address List, as well as many other list items if you have many where you work. If the specifically named list you are looking for does not show up, then that address book has not been added to the possible addresses.

If this is the case, and you are not sure how to add it, I'll try to go back through the procedures to find where you start.

Another thing, which would seem weird to me. You said something about the AD Exchange Features... Is it possible to have the informatino in 2 locations (one under a main AD location, and one under the Exchange location)?

Just some possible thoughts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back