Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Org Chart 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2001
US
I would like to create an org chart in SSRS that gets it data from AD. I currently pull all of the data from AD to populate an employee directly but the chart is my issue. The chart would need to be dynamic because we add and remove users, so today we may have 5 users reporting to a particular person and in a month it's 6 or 4.
Thanks in advance for any ideas or a link to an RDL ;).

BobSchleicher

Sorry to say this - but i dont think what you want is natively possible in RS. There are no controls to do this kind of report.

You may be able to build your own renderer or buy one (i am not aware of any).

----------------------------------------

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Bernard Baruch

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

A partial org chart can certainly be done in SSRS - there's no way you could do a full company org chart but I have seen an area org chart done - I think it coped with up to 3 levels of detail i.e. current person, all at their level, their direct line manager and their direct reports. It's all about the setup of your queries - you can simply use tables / matrices for expansion / reduction of number of people as the number of rows will grow / shrink based on the results of a query

You can use a lot of trickery around making things visible or not to cope with different numbers of same level items. It's not easy but it certainly can be done

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Geoff.

Good point - i was thinking of a complete chart.

Star methinks!

D

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Bernard Baruch

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

Thanks - you can do the full chart just not all at once - can use actions on text boxes to move up and down the hierarchy as well - just calling the same report with different parameters!

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back