Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ordering using poorly formatted column data...

Status
Not open for further replies.

holdemfoldem

Programmer
Jun 5, 2001
US
...I'm writing an app in VB 6 connecting to a main frame DB2 data base and wish to order the results of a select statement by two fields, SCHLYEAR and TERM, corresponding to the school year and the term, (ie: Fall, Spring, or Summer).

What keeps me from simply using:

"SELECT FIELD1, FIELD2, ..., FIELDN ORDER BY SCHLYEAR, TERM"

is that the TERM field is not well maintained. It is a 2 byte field which is supposed to have a "1" for Fall, "2" for Spring, or "3" for Summer, which it does. BUT the field may have any of the following values:
"01", " 1", "1 ", similar for "2" and "3".

This results in unreliable sorts because the first byte may be either a "0", " ", or "1, 2, or 3".

I've tried some suggestions by fellow staff, like case statements, etc, but keep getting non-descript SQL errors.

Can anyone help me build a SELECT statement so I can get an order based on the "1", "2", or "3" contained somewhere within each TERM field?

Thanks ahead for any help!

couldn't you order by

replace(convert(char(2),field),0,'')

dlc?

You might do better posting in an appropriate forum. This is for Microsoft SQL Server, not VB or DB2.

Just a suggestion.

-SQLBill

It would be in your best interest in the long run to fix this data and set up data entry controls to prevent this from happening again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back