Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ordering rows in cross tab report

Status
Not open for further replies.

mperera

Technical User
Sep 7, 2001
US
Hi,

I have a cross-tab report with 15 different rows. The rows' labels are printing out alphabetically, but I want to specify the order in which they should appear (which is not alphabetically). I created a formula specifying that order, and am using that formula as my sort order, but the report seems to be ignoring that, and continues to sort the rows alphabetically. Does anyone know a way around this??

Thanks!

How many row names are you attempting to report on?

Laters

Sorry if I wasn't clear. There are 15 different *possible* rows in the cross tab, depending on a the values of a combination of fields from the database, so I have a formula with a multi-part if-statement that saying:
if blah and blah then "type A"
else if blah and blah then "type B"... etc.

And the formula is what I've specified for the rows of the cross tab.
However, I'd like Type B to come above Type A (in this example) in the report, but the values for the rows are being displayed in alphabetical order. As I mentioned, creating a formula to use to order by (which basically says:
if formula1 = "type b" then 1
else if formula1 = "type a" then 2 ... etc.)
doesn't control the order of the rows.

Thanks for the input!

Highlight the ROW field in the cross-tab window, and select group options for that field. There is an option to use Specified order instead of asc/desc. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Alternatively, in the formula that creates your row labels,
return values such as:
"1. Type B"
"2. Type A"
etc...

A bit primitive, but it keeps the logic all
in one place... :eek:)

hth,
- Ido