Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oracle10g regular expression how to

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc82394

Programmer
Aug 21, 2003
US
I need to compare values from one column (pvalue) to another column (pstnrd) that holds expected standard values that are complex. I want to use regular expressions. For example the standard is any variation of 4,5,6. A pvalue of 4,4,6 is true and a pvalue 6,8,4 is false when compared to the pstndrd.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Patrick

Hmm, sorry Patrick, your matching 'rule' is pretty ambiguous.
Does 446 match 456 because it is a subset, or because it starts with the same number, or because it starts with a matching number and ends with a matching number or does it match because it starts with a matching number, ends with a matching number and only contains numbers that are a subset of the standard. I would suggest that you give us exactly what you are actually trying to do rather than trying to simplify it. Supply the ddl and dml to build a test case of reasonable proprtions along with expected results and whatever you have already tried.
Cheers
Jim

PS is there a particular reason that you need to use regular expressions or is it just because you 'think' it should work?

I'm interesting in trying to figure out how to do this using regular expressions as I am trying to get more familiar with regular expressions in Oracle.

The standard value is listed as 4,5,6
The actual value received is 4,4,6
The match is because there are 3 numbers X,X,X AND that those three numbers are either 4, 5 or 6.

I am thinking that I need to do the reg_instr and first look for the number of commas. Then to a substep search for verifying that all numbers are either 4 or 5 or 6.

I'll dig up the dml/ddl and send it over as well.

Thanks,
Patrick

create table nps(nps_key number, pname varchar2(10), svalue varchar2(10));

insert into nps values(1,'Paramx','4,5,6');

create table np_data(nps_key number, tstamp date, pvalue varchar2(10));

insert into np_data values(1,sysdate,'4,4,6'); --good match
insert into np_data values(2,sysdate,'4,4,4'); --good match
insert into np_data values(3,sysdate,'4,6,5,5'); --bad match due to 4 characters instead of 3
insert into np_data values(4,sysdate,'6,4,4'); --good match

--what I would do if the standard value (svalue) was a simple one to one match with a parameter value (pvalue)
select *
from nps a,
np_data b
where a.nps_key = b.nps_key
and b.pvalue = a.salue -- for example 4 = 4

But in this example the standard value is a string with three characters that can be any permutation of the numbers listed.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Patrick

'Thanks for the test case. 'fraid the request is beyong my meagre skills with regexp at the mo (and I don't have time at the mo to play) Hopefully someone else will come up with something for you. If I think of anything, I'll post back. Although, I must admit, I think I'd be more inclined to usethis a collection and MEMBER OF.

Ok I think I figured it out but I made a mistake in my inserts above that need to be corrected. If you ran the dml and ddl from above, then also run this:

update np_data
set nps_key = 1
where nps_key <> 1;
commit;

select *
from nps a,
np_data b
where a.nps_key = b.nps_key
and regexp_like(b.pvalue,'^[456],[456],[456]$');

--the above line is what I needed except it doesn't use a.svalue. But at least it gets me figuring out how to use regular expressions

Thanks,
Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back