Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle vs SQL Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yikes

MIS
Oct 28, 2001
US
Can anyone tell me any advantages of using SQL Server over Oracle? We are having a rather large database being created that will have millions of records and files constantly being imported and exported daily. The main system that we will be importing and exporting files from is a Oracle Database. So we are a little confused as to why the consulting firm chose SQL server over Oracle, when cost is not an issue. The only thing we can think of is that they are not familiar with Oracle, and the deadline is only 2 months away. Are there certain types of databases that SQL server is not the best choice for???? Are thre any big disadvantages to using SQL server, when we are willing to pay for Oracle?
Thanks! I hope someone can help me really quick! I only know Oracle and may be losing a job if i cant convince them to switch back to Oracle!

As far as I know, the only real advantage SQL Server has over Oracle is its cost. If you can afford Oracle, it's a better solution. Not only it can "endure" lots of queries and transactions, but Oracle tech support is far better than Microsoft's.
The deadline can have been their reason. 2 months can be a short time.

Hi
We work with both databases and to our experience it is a question of what type of project the database is used for.
To put it simply, if Oracle's PL/SQL is stronger than SQL's T-SQL, why would you care if your project uses a multi-tier architecture with all business logic in the middle-tier (and only litte programming in the database)?

The point is, both databases are good and general comparisons are dangerous.

You mentioned size. Reading/Writing is not an issue. Both products perform equally well (large scans even faster in SQL). A few millions records is not a killer.

So other criterias as deadline, easy of use etc. could have been the reason for SQL.

Regards,
Urs

I think you need to look deeper into Oracle's feature set. If the primary source is already in oracle, then by uring Oracle as the target you have a world of wonderful options such as transportable tablespaces, true partioning, far stronger security options, much lower "Total Cost of Ownership", much more flexibility as to platform (cheap linux hardware or killer sun).

Unless your technical direction is to replace ALL your oracle with SQLServer with this being a first step, then to use SQLServer would be a completely ridiculous decision with regard to long term total cost of ownership. Presumably, you already have the infastruction and talent to manage and administer Oracle. Now you are suggesting that you also add infastruction and talent (skills) to manage and administer SQLServer. Dumb. I suggest you find a more mature consulting firm or get a new job with better management.

I am a DB over both Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server. As far as I've seen with Oracle 9i and SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000, there isn't much of a difference other than price. For your average system, you shouldnt see a difference in performance. If you have staff that can support MS SQL Server (it is easier to administer) then I dont see the problem. It can lead to long term savings if the company is going to go all Microsoft. They should not run both unless there is a good business case for one over the other. I doubt that will be the case.

We recommend Oracle over SQL Server because of Oracle's strong support of n-tier architecture, Java, and open source development.

IN NEED OF EXPERT OPINION

We are a FMCG company and currently evaluating various database engines for deployment in our organization.

- Our legacy systems are developed in Foxpro for DOS and Visual Foxpro.
- We have 50+ locations all over the country from where data is transferred via dial-up on daily basis.
- Current environment is NT-4.0 server with 350 users in head office premises. At locations stand alone PCs are installed and are running on Windows 98.

We plan to move onto GUI based applications with secure database engines with an objective to have it on the web with the option of both on-line and off-line transactions at remote locations. We see a rapid increase in the magnitude of data that we will be handling in near future in the light of various planed direct marketing activities.

Issues need to be clarified:
- Should we go for Oracle Database Engine or SQL Server 2000 or DB2
- What options would be available at front end in each of the cases such as DOT NET technology or Developer 2000.
- What kind of problems should we expect to face in the process of migration from our legacy systems to this new environment?
- What type of hardware resources would be required?
- Database backups?
- What licensing issues are there to negotiate

We would really appreciate if you could help us in our decision-making regarding above in light of your experiences over the years.

IN NEED OF EXPERT OPINION

We are a FMCG company and currently evaluating various database engines for deployment in our organization.

- Our legacy systems are developed in Foxpro for DOS and Visual Foxpro.
- We have 50+ locations all over the country from where data is transferred via dial-up on daily basis.
- Current environment is NT-4.0 server with 350 users in head office premises. At locations stand alone PCs are installed and are running on Windows 98.

We plan to move onto GUI based applications with secure database engines with an objective to have it on the web with the option of both on-line and off-line transactions at remote locations. We see a rapid increase in the magnitude of data that we will be handling in near future in the light of various planed direct marketing activities.

Issues need to be clarified:
- Should we go for Oracle Database Engine or SQL Server 2000 or DB2
- What options would be available at front end in each of the cases such as DOT NET technology or Developer 2000.
- What kind of problems should we expect to face in the process of migration from our legacy systems to this new environment?
- What type of hardware resources would be required?
- Database backups?
- What licensing issues are there to negotiate

We would really appreciate if you could help us in our decision-making regarding above in light of your experiences over the years.

You can contact Muhammad arshad at arshadg@hotmail.com.

to FMCG company - you wrote your comments in Feb 2002 - it's now May - did you make a decision? What was it and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back