Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Update Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandi

Programmer
Dec 12, 2001
MY
Hai

Can I know who updated the Oracle record. Is there any table the username who is updating the record is stored.

Thanks for Any Answers

NO.

You would have either to add the columns to each table and update them with a trigger, or have the trigger write this info to an audit or log file.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thanks

Can i use the Audit Command over that table. To get the access info.

Pandi,

Oracle's AUDIT command has a couple of problems: 1) It carries with it an inordinate amount of Oracle-server overhead, and 2) It really is not a good "auditor" in terms of "when" did "who" do "what" to "whom". The best auditing methodology is follow LKBrwnDBA's advice: create an audit trigger. That way you incur CPU costs only when necessary (i.e., when the trigger fires) and you can track precisely what you want.

If you do not have experience with audit triggers, please re-post such and we can provide you with code samples.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 19:41 (28Jul04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 12:41 (28Jul04) Mountain Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back