Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oracle, sybase,mysql?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doddo

Programmer
Feb 14, 2001
GB
Hi, I need to persuade my boss into going with either oracle, mysql, sybase. There could be potentially tables with a few million entries in but the queries will not be overly complicated. There will be joins, sub-selects etc. There will however be less than 100 concurrent users and the data itself will mainly be in the form of varchar, int, maybe with one or two columns contains blob data.

Please could anyone give me a few points that could persuade him to pay out for anything other than mysql? ie oracle or sybase

thanks in advance

If the database has to be up 24/7 and is mission critical, Then I would take ORACLE over any other (DB2 is also pretty good and reliable). I would also pick a unix platform to run the database (SUN is an oracle partner).
Also Oracle provides a lot of tools to be web enabled and is very much web oriented (stating with 8i). Oracle is also portable on almost any platform, SqlServer runs only on NT or 2000 (microsoft does not care about other platforms).

In 8 years as DBA, I have not seen a corrupted Oracle database, but many SqlServer.

Also , many more tools available with Oracle.

Hello, doddo.
I've been a DBA for 7 years, I worked with Oracle 7,8, DB2 for OS/390 and AIX, and SQL Server.
In my case, I found that the best technical support was the one offered by Oracle.
In general, IBM is acceptable, but Microsoft's is not.

One of the most important things you should be very careful about, is to evaluate the support that the company which sells the product gives.
I also have to agree with Ifoata about the tools, there are a lot of tools for Oracle that don't exist for other databases.

Good luck.
Tigreeuropeo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back