Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Stored Procedures in Crystal Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsorensen

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2002
US
I'm trying to write a stored procedure to normalize an Oracle row that contains 12 columns, to 1 column of 12 rows so I can do some reports in CR. This is my first Oracle Stored Proc. What am I doing wrong?

I've created a Oracle temporary table as follows:
CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE GLCONSOL_NORMAL_TEMP (....column specification.)

The table which doesn't work with Crystal very well is like this:
COMPANY
FISCAL_YEAR
ACCOUNT
SUB_ACCOUNT
Then 12 debits and 12 credits, for each month
DB_AMOUNT_01
DB_AMOUNT_02
DB_AMOUNT_12
CR_AMOUNT_01
CR_AMOUNT_02
CR_AMOUNT_12

My stored procedure inserts 12 records into the temporary table as follows;
COMPANY
FISCAL_YEAR
ACCOUNT
SUB_ACCOUNT
MONTH
DB_AMOUNT
CR_AMOUNT

I'm not even sure this is the way you should go about doing this and returning the temporary table back to the REF CURSOR.

Package specification:

Create GLCONSOL_NORMALIZE_PK
as TYPE GLCONSOL_NORMALIZE_type IS REF CURSOR RETURN GLCONSOL_normal_temp%ROWTYPE;
END GLCONSOL_NORMALIZE_PK;

Stored Procedure specification:

(SELECT_CURSOR IN OUT GLCONSOL_NORMALIZE_PK.GLCONSOL_NORMALIZE_type,
IN_COMPANY IN GLCONSOL.COMPANY%TYPE,
IN_ACCOUNT IN GLCONSOL.ACCOUNT%TYPE,
IN_SUB_ACCOUNT IN GLCONSOL.SUB_ACCOUNT%TYPE,
IN_FISCAL_YEAR IN GLCONSOL.FISCAL_YEAR%TYPE)
AS
/* DECLARATIONS */
i binary_integer := 1;
j binary_integer;
v binary_integer;
GLCONSOL_REC GLCONSOL%ROWTYPE;
CURSOR C1 IS
SELECT * FROM GLCONSOL
WHERE COMPANY = IN_COMPANY AND
ACCOUNT = IN_ACCOUNT AND
SUB_ACCOUNT = IN_SUB_ACCOUNT AND
FISCAL_YEAR = IN_FISCAL_YEAR;
/* Begin the program */
BEGIN
open C1;
/* should only select one record */
FETCH C1 INTO GLCONSOL_REC;
/* temp table - created global temporary table called GLCONSOL_NORMAL_temp with:
company
fiscal_year
account
sub_account
db_amount
cr_amount
month
db_beg_bal
cr_beg_bal
*/
/* Create 12 rows for each GLCONSOL row read. */
/* db_amount first */

insert into glconsol_normal_temp (company,fiscal_year,account,sub_account,db_amount,cr_amount,month,db_beg_bal,cr_beg_bal) values (IN_COMPANY, IN_FISCAL_YEAR, IN_ACCOUNT, IN_SUB_ACCOUNT, glconsol.db_amount_01, glconsol.cr_amount_01, 1 ,glconsol.db_beg_bal,glconsol.cr_beg_bal);

insert into glconsol_normal_temp (company,fiscal_year,account,sub_account,db_amount,cr_amount,month,db_beg_bal,cr_beg_bal) values (IN_COMPANY, IN_FISCAL_YEAR, IN_ACCOUNT, IN_SUB_ACCOUNT, glconsol.db_amount_02, glconsol.cr_amount_02, 2 ,glconsol.db_beg_bal,glconsol.cr_beg_bal);

(... 3-11 ...)

insert into glconsol_normal_temp (company,fiscal_year,account,sub_account,db_amount,cr_amount,month,db_beg_bal,cr_beg_bal) values (IN_COMPANY, IN_FISCAL_YEAR, IN_ACCOUNT, IN_SUB_ACCOUNT, glconsol.db_amount_12, glconsol.cr_amount_12, 12 ,glconsol.db_beg_bal,glconsol.cr_beg_bal);

open select_cursor for select * from glconsol_normal_temp;
/* Now I need to return out of the procedure the temp rows. */
/* SELECT_CURSOR had the 12 rows. */
END GLCONSOL_NORMALIZE_SP;

Thanks to anyone who could help me on this.

You need to create the global temp table outside your stored proc.. don't worry it will be there for you inside the proc.

There is a fairly decent whitepaper from Crystal about what you can and cannot (mostly cannot) do in SP's with oracle. Search their knowledge base for oracle stored procedure.

Lisa

Thanks. I did create the global temporary table outside the procedure. Does what I'm doing sound like something a reasonable person would do to 'flatten' a table out. I want to produce a graph of amounts by period or a listing like this:

Month DB Amount CR Amount
----- --------- ---------
1 100.00 200.00
2 200.00 300.00
12 1200.00 1200.00

With the original table I can't.

I didn't review the SP, but your theory is sound, denormalize the data on the database to fit the reporting requirement.

-k

I have used both your method and a crosstab in Crystal. Your method normally works best, esp with the beginning balance..

Lisa

Ah.. so sorry I didn't read closer in your first post.. you need to create the cursor in a package before hand.. here is an example:

PACKAGE Report_Package
IS TYPE Report_Type IS REF CURSOR;
END Report_Package;

Then it is called like this:

PROCEDURE RSP_Example (
ExampleCursor IN OUT Report_Package.Report_Type)

That should fix your problem!

Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back