Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Service Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stargazer77

Programmer
Jul 20, 2000
US
I have a listener set up and running and a service configured on Oracle8i Personal Ed. but I get the error that TNS could not resolve the service name...need help.

Have you checked the TNSNAMES.ORA file on your client machine? It needs to have an entry that provides the connection information for your service.
[sig][/sig]

I've recently migrated from 8.0.4.4.0 to 8iR3 and ran into the same problem. The problem stems from 8i not setting a default_domain in the sqlnet.ora file. The fix is:

First, open the %ora8ihome%\network\admin\sqlnet.ora file and add the parameter: NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN=world

Then, open the %ora8ihome%\network\admin\tnsnames.ora file and make sure the connection name includes the default_domain setting (PROD.WORLD = ), then add the parameter (sid = prod) to the Connect_data section and comment out the lines referencing (NAMES_SERVICE = XXXXX). The connection parameters should look like:

SID.world =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_List =
(Address = (PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=yourcomputername)(PORT=1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
# (SERVICE_NAMES = PROD)
(sid = prod)
)
)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back