Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle R12 EBS requirement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

khalidaaa

Technical User
Jan 19, 2006
BH
Hi all,

The title of this post looks strage and one could wonder if i'm posting this in the right forum but i'm sure that i will get help over here :)

I had few requests from a DBA who was installing R12 EBS suite and gave me the following recommendation and i'm not sure why oracle recommends this:

1- The following filesets need to be in a COMMITTED state (bos.adt.base, bos.adt.lib, bos.adt.libm, bos.perf.libperfstat, bos.perf.perfstat, bos.perf.protocols and X11.motif.lib)

I wonder why this has to be in a COMMITTED state? what happens if they were kept in the APPLIED state? Would it do any harm?

2- hostnames in the /etc/hosts should be in the following formate

139.185.10.67 myhost.us.oracle.com myhost
139.185.10.68 myhost2.us.oracle.com myhost2

Why not:

139.185.10.67 myhost myhost.us.oracle.com
139.185.10.68 myhost2 myhost2.us.oracle.com

Both will do the same resolution! So why our DBA insists into those two points? Any thoughts?

Regards,
Khalid

Hi Khalid,

I don't "do" oracle but I bet your DBA is just passing on install notes from oracle and they (both your DBA and oracle) don't have the AIX experience / expertise they should have.

I had a quick google for the filesets and the hosts file thing and saw similar comments.

My opinions:

Committed - they just want them installed and the guy that wrote the install guide tried the lslpp command and thought to be on the safe side he would include the COMMITTED bit in his doc just in case it was important.

Same goes for the hosts file, they noticed both long and short names were in their test systems, maybe it didn't work properly without one or the other so they specified it the way they wrote theirs.

I'd bet the: fileset - APPLIED / COMMITTED and hosts FQDN / short makes no difference what so ever as long as the filesets are on there in one or other form and the hosts file specifies both long and short names.

Makes you wonder how their network was set up and the scary thought is that oracle might use both long and short hostnames in different parts of their code!

JMHO

Thank you DukeSSD for your valuable comments.

I was really frustrated by the word "Oracle requirement" and as you said i know that he had some installation guide paper or so, so he was following the exact steps without knowing their meaning.

Have a star for your comment :)

Regards,
Khalid

Thanks DuckSSD & HarryNair.

But can you imagine that our DBA just sent me an output today showing that the oracle installation was failing during verifying /etc/hosts!?!

It was pointing that the formate should be this way:

139.185.10.67 myhost.us.oracle.com myhost

So i guess they hardcoded their installation to watch out for their prerequisites! I was about to go insane by that!

Regards,
Khalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back