Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Putty SSH Tunnel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

diepa

Programmer
Dec 28, 1998
US
Hi to all.
I appreciate that you can provide me detailed instructions to perform the following:
From home, I use the SafeNet Secure VPN Client to access my work.
Once connected, I have to ssh to a box (let's call it 192.168.2.29), and once connected to that box, I have to ssh to another box that has the DB Server (192.168.1.28).
There is any way to use my LOCAL sqlplus on my PC to access directly to the DB Server using Putty Tunnel option?
So basically I'd like to access the DB Server directly from my PC (if possible).

Any help is appreciated

Yes. Fire up Putty on your work location.
Then, when connecting, click SSH > Tunnels in the settings tree.

In Source port, enter a port on your "local" machine (your work PC in this case). Use a port number that is not in use. (for Mysql, 3306 is the default port, so 3307 is often used here)

In the Destination field enter:
192.168.1.28:3306
(Assuming you want to connect to port 3306 on that machine)

Click "local ports accept connections from other hosts"
Don't forget to click The "add button"

Now connect using putty. Enter your credentials.

You should now be able to connect to the port on your work PC that you have given (3307 in my example) with sqlplus or any other database program.

PLEASE NOTE:
For MySQL, "localhost" is NOT the same as 127.0.0.1.
You must specify the local machine as 127.0.0.1, otherwise the network is not even used!

+++ Despite being wrong in every important aspect, that is a very good analogy +++
Hex (in Darwin's Watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back