Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Not Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I used this oracle (8i) last night. This morning,
when I tried logging into it, I received an error:
Oracle not available.
I have received this error many times and would
normally log into server manager and startup
Oracle again.
This time, when I try starting it, I receive this
error message: "ora-27100 shared memory realm
already exists."
Can anyone please help me!!
Thanks,
sarc

sounds like you are not shutting it down properly. If you are shutting down your PC every night, you should shut down the Oracle Instance before shutting down the computer. In Windows2000 this is done for you but in NT or other Windows systems you can't be sure so shut it down before turning off the machine.

Then, unless your machine is starting the instance and database at boot time, yes, you will have to start it up before you can lof in.

If this advice doesn't help, write us back with a description of your operating system.

Here is the explanation of the error message:
ORA-27100 shared memory realm already exists

Cause: An attempt was made to start duplicate instances, or tried to restart an instance that had not been properly shut down.

Action: Use a different instance name, or cleanup the failed instance's SGA.

for more info on error messages go to URL:

Thanks for the helpful hint.
I have windows2000 so the instance gets shut down automatically.
I think what started the problem last night was when I realized that since I increased the size of the ops's virtual memory, it has been going through a lot of paging and as a result, was getting swapped out of memory very quickly.
I adjusted the virtual memory and was unable to get back into oracle. I shutdown the system and went to bed.
So perhaps, I need to shutdown all instances and hope to get them restarted by win2000 at startup up time.
sarc

Hi:

We had the same problem here. We found that the file SQLNET.ora had a configuration that had to be changed. The file should read:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NONE)

The other lines need no change.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back