Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Monitoring Tools 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenCunningham

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
Hi Folks,

we are seeking to improve our DBA capabilities by standardising on a monitoring tool. I'd be grateful for any experiences (good or bad) that you've had with those available. We currently tend to monitor via scripts, but will probably be looking to a GUI reporting tool with alert capabilities at certain thresholds. To that end we've trialled Spotlight, and I have been fairly impressed with that (but not the per-server cost!). Any other tools out there (reasonably priced or free (we live in hope!)) which anyone can recommend? TIA.

Try to use OEM, but as for price ...

Hello Ken,

Spotlight on ORACLE from quest is a fancy tool. We rejected it for it's price and the fact that we have to few instances to monitor. As an all-round tool I am very happy with TOAD from Quest. With the added DBA license to the tool I have enough monitor functions for day to day business. TOAD is really a swiss-army knife, lots of value for a reasonable price. T. Blom
Information analist
Shimano Europe
tbl@shimano-eu.com

I would say TOAD as well once you take into account all the Tuning and DBA utilities - and you can download a free trail version from QUEST as well.

Thanks Guys, I'll take a look at TOAD, it's something I'd not thought of before now. Happy to hear any more suggestions from others. Cheers.

Ah, slight problem due to my not having specified my requirements exactly enough :) Our Oracle installations run on Solaris 7. I take it (from the Quest site) that TOAD is only available for MS-based machines?

TOAD only runs on Windows machines, but it can monitor any Oracle database on any platform - so you can install it on a PC client that is on the same network as your Oracle database and monitor from there.

Jee - thanks, and excuse my ignorance. I'm (fairly) new to this Oracle stuff as you can tell. Cheers.

I highly recommend ORASNAP. It's free, it's comprehensive, it's HTML if that is GUI enough. You would download it from the internet, install it, go to the SQLPlus in the orasnap start menu, run @snap8. Then go to the OraSnap results in the start menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back