Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle link

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLScholar

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
Hey all,

We have an access database that has linked tables to an oracle database. We are looking to move it onto a new server.

All seems well as an administrator. However when we log on as a normal user we get.

ODBC--Connect to 'SERVICENAME' failed. Bare in mind the same users work on a different server. So what i am thinking is local access file rights. I have checked and these users are not admins on the original machine so it must be folder\file\reg rights as far as i can tell.

Any ideas?

----------------------------------------
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra
----------------------------------------

check odbc as the user having the problem. test the connection (control panel->administrative tools->odbc data sources) and confirm it works for that user, or that it is even present.

also, the tnsnames.ora file will need to have the correct info, AND be available to that user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back