Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oracle instance running ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arainxius

Technical User
Sep 11, 2003
CA
Hi :

Lets assume Oracle 9i is installed on a Sun OS...
How can i find out if oracle server is running on this particular machine ?? and which instance of SID is running ??
The problem is i am unable to connect to the Oracle via sqlplus and i get this message :
ERROR:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

any help ??

TIA

Hi,
Give the following command in Your unix prompt:
$ ps -ef | grep Oracle*
Check out whether You are able to get some with the name Oracle<databasename>...

Thanks & Regards,
DoubleH

If the above command does not work, you can try;

ps -ef|grep smon
ps -ef|grep oracle <- your oracle user

and then check your ORACLE_SID if properly defined.
Robbie

&quot;The rule is, not to besiege walled cities if it can possibly be avoided&quot; -- Art of War

i have tried both of the following
ps -ef|grep smon
and
ps -ef|grep pmon
and
ps -ef|grep oracle

its doesnt' return anything...
But the interesting part Oracle server is running on this machine... i can connect to it... there was some problem in my .cshrc file...
But still how can i found out otherwise if the oracle server is running on this machine.. the OS on this machine is SunOS 5.8,

Thanks

How do you connect to that database could you give an example?

If you know the oracle user, you can also issue the following to check the shared memory segment allocate for Oracle;

ipcs -a|grep oracle

Check also if a listerner is up on your server;

lsnrctl stat

Robbie

&quot;The rule is, not to besiege walled cities if it can possibly be avoided&quot; -- Art of War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back