Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Export directly to tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jescobedo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2004
MX
Hi everybody

I know how to make RMAN Backups to tape with Veritas Netbackup BusineServer, but my boss wants to make a logical backup too. So, I have to use Oracle Export Utility, but I don't know how to write the dump file directly to tape.

It is posible to use Oracle Export with Netbackup to do this? or Is there another way to do this?

Thank you!

I think it is not possible to get an Oracle export file and send it to the tape in one step.
What you can do is to prepare the export file and place it in a filesystem in bpstart_notify script. Then you can back it up in that backup session.

Another solution I once implemented was NetBackup Archiver module for Oracle. This allows to prepare, let's say, an export file, then sends it directly to the tape. This export file is in XML format. It allows you to archive the particular rows or full tables to the tape. But I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for.

Mewa is correct. You cannot use the Oracle exporter to write directly to tape. One thing that we do is, as mentioned, export as part of the bpstart script but make sure you allow enough time to finish the export or the job will fail- Default is 300 seconds.

I forgot to tell you that the O.S. in all my servers is Windows 2000, with this SO, It is possible to use the bpstart_notify.bat to do this?

Yes, but keep all the following in mind:
The bpstart_notify.your_policy.bat and the bpend_notify.your_policy.batare case sensitive. ie. If your_policy actually is YoUr_policy then the file MUST be named as such and these files reside in the netbackup\bin directory on the client.

Also - In the settings for media servers - Go to the Timeouts tab and make sure that you specify enough time for the bpstart and bpend timout. If you do not allow enough time and the export does not finish, the backup job will abort. At the same time, what ever value you assign to the bpstart and bpend settings, go to the Universal tab on the client and media server and make sure that the Client Read timeout value is greater than or equal to the value specified previously. Double check the script for syntax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back