Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oracle error 3113 after system call returns an error

Status
Not open for further replies.

drax62

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
US
We have an application writen using embedded SQL and compiled with Pro*C. It runs on AIX 4.3.
If a system call (file I/O and such) returns an error, the next Oracle call always returns 3113. The only way I know to avoid this is to disconnect from Oracle before any system calls and reconnecting after that. This is not always desired as it creates a big overhead. Does anyone know of this problem or how to fix it?

Drax,

An ORA-03113 error ("end-of-file on communication channel") is one of Oracle's "multi-cause" errors. There is a myriad of things that can throw this error. (It is nearly as bad as Oracle's ORA-600 "catch-all" error.) In the past, when I have encountered this error and it you can consistently replicate the problem (as is sounds like you can), then Oracle Tech Support is, by far, the best source of assistance. If you have a MetaLink account and can log a Technical Assistance Request (TAR), then that will get you the best and quickest resolution.

Otherwise, ORA-3113 errors have not had a very good resolution track record on Tek-Tips due simply to the metric-tonnage of possible causes.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 18:56 (02Sep04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 11:56 (02Sep04) Mountain Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back