Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Database Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmt4331

Programmer
Dec 18, 2000
US

I will have VB 6 on one PC and I want to have an Oracle database on another (peer to peer network). I will be doing database programming. What should I download off of Oracle.com? Oracle9i? Oracle9i lite? or Oracle9i Personal? Thx in advance for your guidance.

Mark

Nothing, I think Ms has already given you an ODBC driver for Oracle.

Stick to your guns

Oracle 9i Lite is designed for laptops where you want to have a "portable" database that you can synchronize with another database, so this is probably not what you want. There are a lot of limitations with Oracle 9i Lite.

Personal Edition Oracle is designed for a local PC and is licensed such that only local connections are "legal" (although it is perfectly possible to connect to a Personal Oracle DB from another computer, just violates the license - unless you are connected as a DBA - that is legal for database administration). So this is probably not what you want either.

That leaves either Oracle 9i Standard Edition or Oracle 9i Enterprise edition. I would guess that Standard Edition would probably meet your needs, but you will need to look up the differences on the Oracle web site to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back