Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2game

Programmer
Jan 20, 2004
US
I'm not a DBA and know little about Oracle so bear with me.

I'm trying to setup my workstation with a private Oracle DB for testing.

We're a small shop and we've been using the Access db(silly but its the way it is and should be changed). I want to test things against an Oracle DB on my workstation before pushing it harder, work out bugs, learn more about the process etc.

The versions are 652 and 8i with Windows XP.

I've installed the 8i on my desktop and figured out how to grant authorities etc. I also was able to log in via SQLPLUS and run the oraload and orainst scripts that come with the product.

I then went to the MS ODBC option and added both the Oracle Service Name, (Data Source, Description, Authorized User and Server) in the System DSN tab.

When I open Partner Mgr and point to the DSN I get 'TNS:Listener can't resolve Service Name'. I go to the TNSNames.Ora file and confirmed the service name is correct, even pasted it everywhere thinking it would help.

Any idea what's wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back