Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Client unable to client using SYS login

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksparam

Technical User
Nov 20, 2003
IR

Hi

I have installed Oracle 10G R2 on a HP UX Itanium server. When I try to connect to database from the DB server using SYS loging it is working fine. But from any client PC when we try to connect to server using SYS login it gives error "Insufficient Privileges"

Please some body help on this quickly !!!!

Thanks

KS, (Namaste)

Since Oracle 9i (as you probably know), "SYS" connections must be "as sysdba". That is not a problem on the server machine (provided that your o/s login is a member of the o/s's "Highly Authorised Oracle Group").

If, however, you are attempting a client-side connection as "SYS" to the database, you must first ensure that your database currently allows client-side (remote) connections "as sysdba". The value of the database instance's "REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE" parameter is the key to a remote, highly privileged connection.

Once the value of that parameter is "EXCLUSIVE" (for example), you then must also ensure that you have created an Oracle "password file" on the server via running the orapwd command from an o/s prompt on your server machine as a highly privileged Oracle user:
Code:
orapwd file=PWD<SID>.ora entries=2 password=<SYS-password-value>
Once these items, above, are in place, you should be able to do the following on the client (remote) side:
Code:
sqlplus /nolog
connect sys/<pw>@<TNS_alias> as sysdba
Let us know your findings/results.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

Hi Mufasa,

Thanks for the suggestion. But it doesn't work. When I create DB already I kept REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE in EXCLUSIVE mode.

After re-creating password file also it is not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back