Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Application version transfer(10.7 to 11i)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oracleapplication

Programmer
May 24, 2000
US
I am a new Oracle Application DBA, <br>We have Oracle 7.3 Database and 10.7 FI.Application running on hp/ux operating system.Now I have to submitt a report about converting this database to 8i and application 11i.Report needed to address <br>(1) Cost Involved <br>(2) Technicians with Special Knowledge base involved <br>(3) and amount of time involved. <br>&nbsp;anybody from this user group ever has done this??? <br>Nikhil Mistry <br><A HREF="mailto:nikhilmistry@yahoo.com">nikhilmistry@yahoo.com</A> <br>912-363-6229

There is a big change in the delivery mechanism of the user interface between 10.7 and 11i, as you are probably aware, away from a fat-client GUI to a thinner client web delivery method with a separate applications server sitting in between your user's browser and the database server. This new architecture will affect your network bandwidth usage - it <i>may</i> improve it, but then again it may not.<br>For info on new and changed features in 11i check <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> if you haven't already.<br>If you have done any customisation of the 10.7 interface, i.e. written any bespoke modules, or modified standard screens or reports, then porting these may be a significant part of your effort.<br>I believe Oracle supplies some utilities for migrating between applications releases, but your mileage may vary when using them, depending on the complexity of your set-up, and what requirements you have to migrate data seamlessly (e.g. if all your invoices in the new system start from a different number, is this a problem ?).<br>Effort involved will also depend on which Apps modules you are using of course.<br>If possible, avoid doing any business process changes alongside the upgrade, as these will complicate migration.<br>Finally, get to know your Oracle Support & Sales consultants, and try and get whatever free advice you can manage from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back