Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle and Tiff Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpafumi

Technical User
Oct 10, 2013
US
Hello Friends.

We are re-designing our App and we have a critical question, what's the best way (in terms of performance) of using TIFF images (about 20K size) with Oracle.
Currently we have a Windows shared file server and we create the tiff images there under a huge directory structure (like /images/ddddmmyy/aa/bb/001, then /images/ddddmmyy/aa/bb/002, etc, etc). Our database is usually in LINUX version 10, 11 or 12.
We create about 200,000 images per day, keep them for 60 days and then remove that structure.
Our Web app (developed with .NET) reads those images just to display them on a Web Session (IE).

As you can see, what we are doing now works fine. But network sometimes is an issue and also it's hard to keep synchronization with our DR server, backups, etc.

Are we taking the correct approach? It would be better to have the images in CLOB or BLOBS for better performance? If so, can you provide me some suggestions on the best way to implement this?
As I mentioned, performance is the KEY FACTOR and the most important item to consider in this design.

Thanks,
Diego

Diego,

My motto is, "One test is worth 100 expert opinions." So, you should be able to quickly build a small model for each of your technical alternatives and test the speed of the outcomes...both inputting and outputting. Don't waste time on these models with all of the "bells and whistles" of your UI...simply simulate each access alternative and test them.

...Then of course, post your results here so we can all benefit from your newly gained wisdom. [smile]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Diego,

We have a similar problem in my place of work. It was originally decided (against my advice) to store files in the operating system, instead of the database.
This was supposed to be both easier and quicker but has in the end, turned out to be a liability.

When it comes to DR and/or point-in-time-recovery, I can restore the database using RMAN with no trouble, and hit a point in time.
However, there is no way of getting our images and other binary files consistently restored to a point in time.

The system administrator has recently admitted to me that he has no way of achieving such a recovery, and is therefore suggesting that files be put in the database.
It's only taken 3 years for the folks where I work to realise their mistake and do something about it.

If performance is acceptable, then for DR and recovery, the database is really the only way to go. As Santa rightly says, you have to test it first.

Regards

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back