Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle 8i Frontend, which ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

niqola

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2003
DE
Hi,
I looking for the solutions so as to find a frontend for an Oracle 8i database on W2K server. The firm uses Citrix and has NFuse. They use PC and terminal comptuters. They have SQL navigator also. My knowledges are Access/ASP/SQL, java (basis).
What I see for the moment is
Local solutions (for PC):
-Access 2002 + driver
-Oracle Developper 2000 + driver

Intranet solutions (PC and Terminals):
-citrix+ then Access, Oracle developper 2000? (driver installed on the terminal server?)

Internet/Intranet solutions:
- Java Servlets
- Data Access Pages
- JSP
- Citrix NFuse and then Access, or other

Maybe what I wrote is not totally correct. If you see other solutions, or have comments on the solutions or have advice so as to choose a simple solution... could you tell me.
Thx.

Hi,
It really depends on what you want to do by way of the frontend..

A combination of ASP/Javascript with an ADO connection
to the database is one method of access..
Oracle has iSqlPlus (in version 9 only, however) which allows SqlPLus to be run over the web..
They also have a full web envionment with their application server in 8i as well as 9..

Lots of 3rd party folks make front ends as well ( you konw about SqlNavigator, and there is T.O.A.D and many others..)

[profile]

Thx.
For "A combination of ASP/Javascript with an ADO connection", must be IIS installed on the server?
Thx

Hi,
The IIS can be on any server with an Oracle client and the OLE DB components installed..( The MDAC from MS and the drivers from Oracle - can be installed when the client is)..

The asp part will look like this ( for instance):
Code:
<BODY  >
<% 
' Create and establish data connection
Set objDC = Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Connection&quot;)
objDC.ConnectionTimeout = 15
objDC.CommandTimeout = 30

'Code to connect to Oracle Warehouse
 objDC.Open &quot;Provider=MSDAORA.1;Password=secret;User ID=report_user;Data Source=mydb&quot;
SqlStrco = &quot;SELECT DISTINCT mtl.location_co_id,mtl.location_name FROM mms.MMS_TC_LOCATIONS mtl where mtl.location_co_id <> 'BA'  order by mtl.location_co_id&quot;
Set rs1 = objDC.Execute(SqlStrco)
arrCoData = rs1.GetRows()
 rs1.Close
   Set rs1 = Nothing
objDC.Close
   Set objDC = Nothing
iRecFirstCo   = LBound(arrCoData, 2)
iRecLastCo    = UBound(arrCoData, 2)
iFieldFirstCo = LBound(arrCoData, 1)
iFieldLastCo  = UBound(arrCoData, 1)  
%>

This creates an array containing the rows returned by the
query..It can then be used to , say, populate a
<SELECT><OPTION> set in your Form to have users select some values to be used later, say in a JavaScript function, to pass a parameter(s) to a new page or to a report ( I use this for Crystal Enterprise reports) or to display the results in a table, or whatever.

[profile]

You might want to consider Cold Fusion, by Macromedia, as a front end. Produces a web page interface, and the learning curve is easy, esp. if you're already familiar with HTML.

8i is shipped with preconfigured application server, so you may use JSP/Servlets or mod pl/sql (pl/sql web development toolkit).

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back