Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle 8 toolset 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossman

Programmer
Oct 15, 1999
CA
Visit site
I am trying to export an Oracle 7.3.3 Database with the Oracle 8 Data Manager. I can't figure out why it's not Working. I can use a 7.X Data Manager to export and import to a 8.5 Database. the big problem is I am developing a program which will be working with O8 but all my Current Production databases are 7.3.3 . Is there a way to get the O8 toolset to work with O7.x Databases or is there a way to load 07x Tools on a machine running Oracle 8 server software?<br>
Please Help

rossman -<br>
<br>
I don't think you'll be able to use your O8 data manager. I found this entry in the O8 Server Utilities Guide:<br>
<br>
&quot; Using a Higher Version Export<br>
Attempting to use a higher version of Export with an earlier Oracle server often produces the following error: <br>
<br>
EXP-37: Database export views not compatible with Export utility<br>
EXP-0: Export terminated unsuccessfully<br>
<br>
<br>
The error occurs because views that the higher version of Export expects are not present. To avoid this problem, use the version of the Export utility that matches the Oracle server. &quot;<br>
<br>
Also, in the O8 Migration Guide, I found:<br>
<br>
&quot;To migrate an Oracle database using the Export/Import utilities, complete the following steps: <br>
<br>
Export the source database using the Export Utility shipped with the source database. See the source database's server Utilities documents for information about using the Export Utility on the source database. Both version 7 and version 6 database exports can be imported into version 8. &quot;<br>
<br>
I believe you can install your O7 tools on the same platform; however, you may need to install them in a separate Oracle Home in order to avoid overwriting any O8 files.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back