Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle 7 -> 8 Migration Issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeLacey

MIS
Nov 9, 1998
GB
What issues have people come across when migrating ftom Oracle 7 to 8?<br>
<br>
I'm considering recommending the upgrade and I'd like to get some feel (from an independant source that's not trying to sell me consulancy) for the scal of the project.<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Mike Lacey, Open System Engineer, Cargill UK PLC

Well itsa really very troublesome and ireally do mean so.<br>
We've just migrated from 7.3.2 to 8.0.3 and it stinks there are problems of all nature including even the pmon gewts stuck considering many issues i'm even planning to downgrade to 7.3.4

My experience has been good, as long as the target version of Oracle is 8.0.4.2 or above. 8.0.3 has too many problems, and while 8.0.4.0.0 fixed most of them, it introduced two known problems (with RMAN and Parallel Server) that weren't fixed until 8.0.4.2.<br>
<br>
8.0.5 is best; very much bug-free, near as I can tell, plus some new stuff for Enterprise Manager, so use 8.0.5 if you can.<br>
<br>
By way of a tip, be aware that the "7-&gt;8 Migration" utility, although it comes on the Oracle8 CDROM, this component must be installed under the existing Oracle7 "$ORACLE_HOME", not the new Oracle8. The "mig80" program itself must be linked with Oracle7 and run as an Oracle7 program. Sort of counter-intuitive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back