Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-27102: out of memory URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

vr76413

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
US
Hi all
I have a Database in 8.1.7 on Sun 5.8.i need to bring it back up. so this is what i did ...I looked into Metalink and all they say is check the syntax of /etc/system file. Obviously Syntax is right since i can start and stop the other databases as and when i wish.

bash-2.05$ ORACLE_SID=ramr
bash-2.05$ export $ORACLE_SID
bash-2.05$ sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Wed Dec 19 09:30:19 2002

(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect internal as sysdba
Connected to an idle instance.
SQL> startup
ORA-27102: out of memory
SVR4 Error: 12: Not enough space
SQL>
These are my kernal settings ...There are a total of 6 instances running on this server with each Instance Processes = 150 . 4 of the databases are running fine, but i just can't start the other 2.

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10

set semsys:seminfo_semmns=3300
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=1700
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=1700

what do i need to do to bring it back ip ?....Thanks , any help is appreciated.

Ron

I found the following notation on Metalink:

"You are receiving the above error messages because the SGA size for the current instance is too large to fit into the available physical memory segments.
Raise SHMMAX in /etc/system or Lower SHARED_POOL_SIZE and/or DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS accordingly. You need to reduce the SGA to a resonable size, so that it can be allocated during the startup process."

You can reduce the number of processes, shared_pool_size , java_pool_size, sort_area_size for all the instances, But eventually you will have to add memory on your server.
You could alos merge the instances into one instance.
Depending on the server you have, 6 instances off that size on one server may be too many. Too bad I.T. is not cash business

Luc Foata
Unix sysadmin, Oracle DBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back