Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA 27101 Shared memory...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CIMTEET

Programmer
Jun 25, 2001
US
I am running code on an oracle 9i database. The two areas that I have been developing in have recently crashed with this error:
ORA 01034 Oracle not available
ORA 27101 Shared memory realm does not exist

I am not as much a pessimist as I once was but it seems that I could be doing something that oracle does not like. I am running code that is creating and dropping tables several times a day. During testing between 30 - 50 times. Could this be affecting shared memory? If not, what else could it be.

Greg

Greg,

This is one of those cases where Oracle just does not know how properly to word their error message [banghead]. They should simply say, "The Oracle database instance to which you are trying to connect is not running currently."

So, either you (or a DBA colleague) needs to do the following, beginning at the o/s prompt as a member of the DBA group on your machine:
Code:
sqlplus /nolog
(It responds with "Connected to an idle instance.")
SQL> connect / as sysdba
SQL> startup
(Oracle's normal startup messages...)
Let us know if that solves your problem.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

AS I am waiting for the sysdba password I was wondering if running the startup wouldup somehow tell me what went wrong?

Does the alert log give any clues?

I want to be good, is that not enough?

There are others (at the company)taking care of this problem, thank you for your input.

Does anyone know of another way that the database can be started besides using SQL+? Im getting the same error and I can't get to SQL+.

Acct,

When you say, "I can't get to SQL+," what, specifically does that mean? Whatever SQL*Plus's response to your attempt to connect, could you please post the copy-and-paste of the SQL*Plus response?

Thanks,

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back