Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ora-27101 : shared memory realm does not exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen99

Programmer
Aug 5, 2003
ZA
Hi,

I'm getting the following errors when I try to connect :

ORA-01034 : ORACLE not available
Ora-27101 : shared memory realm does not exist

When I start my pc oracle does not start up by itself so I go to run -> cmd and type in :

set oracle_sid = grms
sqlplus /nolog
conn system/manager as sysdba
startup

The database then starts up.

Problem is I still get the error if I try to connect through Toad or sql*plus.

My tnsnames is correct. I checked it a few times.

The funny thing is that if I plug my network cable out, and restart my pc, my oracle starts up by itself and I don't have any problems.

So that let me think that maybe it is some sort of network problem or security setting. I know an outside contractor came to our company and changed some of the security settings on our network. Closed some of the ports etc. Don't know exactly what. My user belongs to the ORA_DBA group on my pc. Can't find ORA_DBA on the domain. So if I have to add it to the domain - how ?

My listener is started.

Do you think this can be the problem? Or am I totally looking at the wrong place? I don't have a lot of network/security knowledge. Does anybody have some suggestions what I must look for. I can contact the guy who changed our security setting, but at this stage I don't even know what to ask him.

Thanks
Karen

How about using DHCP? Just a guess that your pc obtains dynamically IP address that is not the same than that mentioned in configuration files.

Regards, Dima

Hi.
Your assumption about the domain sounds reasonable to me. You could use a local user with the proper settings to start the database, Toad and SQL*Plus (at least if you use Win2000 or XP, maybe NT).
I think you'd need domainadmin privileges to add a group to the domain and make you member of it (not sure about those Windows things...).

Stefan

can you connect to the database from the server the database is running on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back