Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen99

Programmer
Aug 5, 2003
ZA
Hi

I'm getting the following error if I try to log in to sql*plus :

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

I had the error before, that was because my oracle does not want to start. So I typed the following in cmd :

set oracle_sid = grms
sqlplus /nolog
conn system/manager as sysdba
startup

And that has done the trick in the past. I've been on holiday for the past 2 weeks, and now it does not want to work. Everyone here swears they haven't changed anything, ya sure !!

My oracle does start up. I can desc a table. So that works. But if I try to logg into Toad or Sql*Plus it gives me the Ora 01034 & 27101 errors.

Anybody got any idea what it can be? I am working on the pc where oracle is installed on. So not through the network. Pc is logged onto a network though. I think somebody did change some security setting on the network. But I can not find that somebody ..... Could that give me the errors. Or is it something else ?

Thanks
Karen

I suppose that you're trying to connect from Toad to another instance than you've started. Most probably you have another Oracle home or wrong ORACLE_SID set as environment variable.

Regards, Dima

Karen,

If your operating-system login is still a member of the ORA_DBA group on your PC, then you should be able to connect with the following (slightly adjusted) command:
Code:
set oracle_sid = grms
sqlplus /nolog
conn / as sysdba
startup
Notice that you are not using a username and password? If this command does not work, then someone has removed your login from the ORA_DBA group. You will need to have your PC administrator make you a member of the ORA_DBA group again before you can connect "...as sysdba". If s/he doesn't know what I'm talking about, then post here and I'll explain how to fix that problem.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 15:48 (18Oct04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 08:48 (18Oct04) Mountain Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back