Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-1691 unable to extend logsegment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbstudent

Programmer
Feb 14, 2006
US

Am getting the following error in the alert log file from one of my database.

ORA-1691: unable to extend lobsegment C01D3.SYS_LOB0000051915C00020$$ by 128 in tablespace CMPRDATA1

The tablespace still has about 30% of unused space. What so i need to do. Thanks for your help.

DBAStudent,

Notice that it is not saying,

"Unable to extend logsegment" (as your title says)

...It is saying,

"Unable to extend lobsegment"

"LOB" stands for "Large OBject". There is a Large OBject of some sort (originating from a CLOB [Character Large OBject] or a BLOB [Binary Large OBject], for example) that cannot grow because either A) Oracle cannot find 128 contiguous free blocks in your CMPRDATA1 tablespace or B) the disk drive/file system that holds the data file(s) for the CMPRDATA1 tablespace ran out of disk space.

Problem A is an Oracle issue, which your DBA can resolve by either adding another disk file to the CMPRDATA1 tablespace or altering the existing data file(s) to AUTOEXTEND (preferrably to no more than 2GB) if they are not already autoextending.

Problem B is a system-administrator issue.

Let us know if this sheds enough light on your problem to give you a light at the end of the tunnel (that is not an on-coming train). [wink]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back