Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-16000: database open for read-only access

Status
Not open for further replies.

ettienne

Programmer
Oct 29, 2005
US
I need to sync data from a legacy ERP database to an Oracle database.
I'm running a test VBScript with the following:

Set oCn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
oCn.Open "Data Source=strdb; UID=user; PWD=password; DBA=W;"
sSQL = "update CUSTFILES set CMEMO='ABC' where CLIC='107647'"
oCn.Execute sSQL

The error returned is:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-16000: database open for read-only access

The DBA says the user ID has read/write access to the Oracle database.
I can run the same query successfully in Oracle SQL Developer using the same credentials.

Any pointers on why this connection is read only?

Sage 300 Certified Consultant

Um, how can you tell the ODBC datasource is read only?
I've looked at connection strings, that's where I got what I'm using. I can query the data and get recordsets, just not update them.

Capture_yzwoa5.jpg

I tried alternatives with the same results:
oCn.Open "Driver={Oracle in OraClient11g_home1};Dbq=strdb;Uid=user;Pwd=password;"

oCn.Open "Driver={Oracle in OraClient11g_home1};Server=strdb;Uid=user;Pwd=password;"

the oracle database you are connecting to was started up as readonly and that is why you get that issue then.

note that if the final destination table is on a remote server and CUSTFILES is a synonym to that other db then if either of the databases is readonly you will get that issue.

if the database is a "standby" database you will get the same result.

In any case and just to clarify it, run the update statement through sqlplus as that will bypass any other possible issues.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

The database in question is a live (not standby) database in production, it is not in read only mode.
We can write changes to the db from applications and from Oracle SQL Developer.
Strange...

The problem was the environment the script was running under: for some reason this returned read only access.
Running the same script from a command line solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back