Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA 12541 TNS: No Listener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2008
US

Keep getting error when connecting to remote Oracle DB:

"ORA 12541 TNS: No Listener"

How to start "lsnrctl start" command on remote system from local system with limited rights?

Thanks in advance,
Mark.

How are you connecting to the Oracle DB? Through TOAD? SQLDeveloper? JDeveloper?

Mark said:
How to start "lsnrctl start" command on remote system from local system with limited rights?
...Is similar to, "How do I withdraw money from a bank account that is not mine?"

Amongst the things you can do to troubleshoot an "ORA-12541 TNS: No Listener" error are:[ul][li]Contact someone that has DBA privileges on the remote server, and ask them to[/li][ul][li]confirm that the target LISTENER is up and running.[/li][li]confirm the correct "connection-path" entries that should yield a connection to that server.[/li][li]peruse the listener.log file for messages that occurred as a result of your earlier attempt(s) to connect.[/li][/ul][li]On any remote client that usually can connect to the server, issue either a command to connect to the server or a "tnsping <remote alias>" to confirm the connection. If the connection works, then compare the connection specifications in that machine to the connection specifications on your machine.[/li][/ul]Let us know your results.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Thanks for the "brilliant", "topical" analogy, Dave!

I didn't intend to "withdraw" anything from something "that is not mine"! The remote database belongs to my employer!

I was trying to reconnect after an upgrade with minimum hassles to all concerned!

I contacted the DB administrator and got the updated tnsnames entry!

I am connected now. Thanks for all yours help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back