Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-12541 after Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

seashore67

Technical User
May 27, 2003
US
I am not an Oracle user and not very good with Linux. That said my company asked me to install Oracle 10g on a Linux box so we could test our software. I have gone through the install and during the setup only received warnings that should not hurt the Oracle with one exception the network adapter. For some reason it came up "Not Executed." That being said I knew I had a static IP correctly set up and I was able to see the box from my internal network. So I continued on with the install. Now that I'm complete and on the local box Enterprise Manager, it states that its unable to connect to the database instance. Reason: ORA-12541: TNS: no listener (OCIServerAttach). Any assistance is appreciated.

Hi, seashore67

I have installed Oracle on a 64-bit Linux server at home. I received the same error on my Windows XP laptop. So I ended up doing this:

1. Go to Settings->Network Connections->Local Area Connection.
2. Choose the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and then click properties.
3. Choose "Use the following IP address" and put the IP address of the Linux server in there as well as the subnet mask.
4. Then choose "use the following DNS server addresses and put the IP address of your PC in there then close this.

You should be able to connect to Oracle on the Linux server then. It worked for me but being that your network is probably more complex than my home network my "solution" should at least start you in the right direction.

Regards,

William Chadbourne
Oracle DBA

Hi William, Thanks for this suggestion but unfortunately it does not solve what I'm trying to do. I cannot get the database instance even started from the local box. This is because there is no Listener. And when I try to start the listener from the enterprise manager I receive the error as described above. Any other thoughts?

Andrew

Actually, yes

Try this:

1. Edit the oratab file. It is located in the /etc directory. On the last line of the file change the "N" to a "Y". Then reboot the server.

By changing the oratab file this will allow the instance to start automatically every time the server is started or rebooted.

Regards,

William Chadbourne
Oracle DBA

I'm sorry but this did not work either. It actually made matters worse as I could no longer even get into the Enterprise Manager. I have now removed all Oracle components and entries and attempted to reinstall. When I go through the checks I receive a "Not Executed" on the Network configuration. This is odd considering I have a static IP set and everything. Any thoughts? Thanks again for all your help.

Andrew

Hi, Andrew

Did you use the Universal Installer to remove Oracle. This is the only way to remove it properly. Oh, and what Linux are you using? I am using SuSE.

Regards,

William Chadbourne
Oracle DBA

I did use the Universal Installer to remove it. I'm using Linux Red Hat 3.0. Still no response from the database instance, but I was able to enter the Enterprise Manager again. When I go the to startup/shutdown option it immediately shows an error stating "IO Exception: Network Adapter could not connect to database instance." Once again during my install the checks displayed "not executed" for the network configuration even though I set a static IP and such. Thanks for any help, as I truly appreciate it.

Andrew

Hi, Andrew

Are you able to ping the server from your PC? Or otherwise connect to the server from your PC?

Regards,

William Chadbourne
Oracle DBA

William,

I am able to ping no problem.

Andrew

Hi, Andrew

Are you able to tnsping?

Regards,

William Chadbourne
Oracle DBA

Status