Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA - 12154 TNS could not resolve service name 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ut83

MIS
Jan 12, 2001
US
Hi
I am having a problem that should not be this hard to resolve.
I installed Oracle 8i on a Compaq Deskpro running Windows 95.
I had no problems during the installation.
I used pre configured tnsnames.ora and a sqlnet.ora files
I checked the path names in autoexec.bat and that seems to be OK.
I am using TCP and I can "ping" the host from the client.
After the installation, I rebooted.
I still get this problem. Usually this problem is usually resolved fairly routinely, but I
admit that I am a little puzzeled.
I appreciate any help
Thanking you in advance
John Ellis

This usually indicates one of two things:
1. Your system may be referencing a different tnsnames.ora file than the one you are looking at. Use Explorer to search for extra files.

2. Your tnsnames.ora entry does not use the right domain suffix, which is recorded in your SQLNET.ORA file.

If neither of these turn out to be the problem, you will probably need to turn on tracing and look at the trace files to troubleshoot where the disconnect is.

I gather you are trying to connect to the database from another machine. Some simple questions:
1. Did you install Oracle Client on the client side machine?
2. Did you use Net8 Configuration Assistant on the client side to create an entry in the TNSNAMES.ORA file for the host database?
3. Did you create a ODBC connection in Control Panel -> ODBC Data Sources (use a system DSN if you want all machine users to see it)?

Hope that helps...

Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com
While I don't mind e-mail messages, please post all questions in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Have you tried a TNSPING to see if you can ping the database, not just the machine? Something that's happened to me, too often, is I have two Oracle client directories on my machine, Network and Net80. I have to be sure to update the TNSNAMES.ORA files in both. Do a search on your client PC and see how many TNSNAMES.ORA files you find.

Fredzo -
You can get rid of that problem by setting the environmental variable TNS_ADMIN to specify a single directory for all Oracle products to use when accessing the Net8 files.
For instance, I created a subdirectory C:\ORANET, placed one set of my Oracle network files in there, set TNS_ADMIN to point to C:\ORANET, and deleted both the network and net80 subdirectories. This makes administration a lot simpler, since you now only have one set of files to maintain.

Oracle 8i will NOT run on Windows 95 - it is not certified for win95. To load Oracle on Win95, use Personal Oracle 8 (not 8i) - which is certified for win95m but will NOT run on win98.

You application may be looking for the tsnames file in the wrong directory, try copying the tsnames file into the same directory as your application.

We just installed this on a brand new PC but during the Oracle installation the .dll's in this path, C:\Oracle\Ora81\BIN would not install correctly. We received an error message that there was an error in writing to these .dll's so we kept stoping that process but continued the installation but it still never worked. Finally, when we received that error again we decided each time to rename that particular file so it would install that file again. We noticed after doing so it installed the listener.ora file, among others, that were not installed the previous 8,000 attempts.

Luckily, this time it worked. It could very well have been that after the 1st installation and uninstall we did not remove all the files thoroughly enough therefore they were getting picked up.

All's fine now but a hard lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back