Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-08176: consistent read failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohanem

Programmer
Aug 16, 2002
US
Hi,
I have a process that is simply doing a long query on a table and after a while it fails with the following error-

ORA-08176: consistent read failure; rollback data not available

Can anyone tell me whats the cause and what can be done to avoid it?

Thanks
Rohan

Rohan,

There are certain database activities that change data without rollback (consistent-read) entries. Amongst such activities are: direct loads and index creations. Since Oracle does not allow "inconsistent" results, Oracle throws an error rather than potentially inconsistent results.

The remedy for this problem is to re-run your long query, hoping that no one concurrently executes whatever it was that threw the error in the first place. There is a prevention for this error, but your updating colleagues generally consider the prevention to be an annoyance since no one can effect any changes while you are querying:
Code:
lock table s_emp in exclusive mode;

Table(s) Locked.
Then, following your activities, be certain to unlock the table with the command:
Code:
ROLLBACK;

Rollback complete.

I recommend that you do not lock the table in this fashion unless the problem is recurrent and your query is a business critical activity with higher priority that table updates.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 20:42 (18Aug04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 13:42 (18Aug04) Mountain Time)

Thanks Mufasa..but what if the table is partitioned on a daily basis...I am trying to query lets say mondays data and another process is loading/updating Wednesdays data..is that still going to be a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back