Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-01658: INITIAL extent segment? Urgent response needed please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPeterson

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
US
I am attempting to copy a table from one tablespace to another. I am using the DBA Studio to attempt this and I am using the "Create Like..." method. I change the 'Schema' and the 'Tablespace' options to match those of the tablespace in which I wish to copy it to. However, when I go to create it, I receive the following error:

ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace VRCONSUMER.

What does this error mean, how did it happen, and how can I correct it. I need any suggestions I can get A.S.A.P. so if you have any ideas, please let me know! Thanks a bunch!

The initial size of the table requires more room than the size of your tablespace. Increase the size of your tablespace. Terry M. Hoey

The error means that there are no free extents available in the tablespace that are large enough to accomodate your initial extent. As Terry suggests, the easiest way to remedy this is to get more free space in the tablespace. This can be done by (1)dropping or moving other objects out of the tablespace, (2) adding a datafile to the database, (3) manually resizing the datafile(s) for the tablespace, (4) setting AUTOEXTEND on for datafile(s), or (5) possibly exporting, dropping, and importing the objects that are in the tablespace. Option (5) may or may not work, depending on how honeycombed your tables are and how fragmented the tablespace is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back