Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-01555 oracle 8i

Status
Not open for further replies.

loschiavoj

Programmer
Dec 28, 2000
US
I am trying to update a record set via a stored procedure that gets called by my application, I receive the error message listed below. I have alredy increased the rollback segments on all numbers because I do not specify the segment that I am using. Any thoughts would be appreciated

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( Sweeper Service ) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s): C:\centaur\Common\Utilities\Database\Database.cpp, line# 842, [Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number 15 with name "RB14" too small:0.

You may use
set transaction use rollback segment <segment_name>
to set rollback segment for your transaction.

There are three situations that can cause the ORA-01555 error:
1. An active database with an insufficient number of small-sized rollback segments
2. A rollback segment corruption that prevents a consistent read requested by the query
3. A fetch across commits while your cursor is open

I guess that you are in the third situation. So,you must restructure your PL/SQL code to avoid fetching across commits that cause the ORA-01555 error.

Put a delay in your commit after you update, say commit every 5000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back