Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatetec

MIS
Mar 22, 2007
US
I got the following errors, but don't see any significant issues with the db.
Is this an ignorable error, or something I need to look into further?

ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 1 (block # 1996)
ORA-01110: data file 1: '/dev/rtrain2_0512_000'
ORA-27091: skgfqio: unable to queue I/O
ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error

thx much

Gatetec,

My gut tells me that this is an error on the disk drive. It very well could be a corruption on the device. The fact that the error is on "file 1" makes it even more problematic: File 1 holds the SYSTEM tablespace.

Hopefully, you have a fairly recent full backup of your database, and you the database is in ARCHIVELOG mode, so that you can recover the database up to the most recently committed transaction.

Do not ignore this error message. It represents problems in your database.

Log a trouble ticket with Oracle MetaLink if the remedial steps, above, fail.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
A fo ben, bid bont.

This error, shown in application (not alert-) log, indicated a problem between os and db-software. In our case it was AIX 5.3 TL5 having a problem with Oracle 9.2.0.7. An os-fix (sp1) and oracle-patch (5496862) solved the issue.

Hi Gatec,

I see you're on a *nix based system.

Do you have access to the system logs? Or can someone copy the contents of them and sends them to you?

They'll be in /var/adm or /var/adm/syslog, or var/log. The files could be messages, syslog.log, some iteration of local#.log, etc...

What you want are the lines from the files that correspond to the times/date of your ORA errors.

If it's a bad disk, controller, etc... it should show up at the same time in the system logs as you got the ORA-#####.

If you need help deciphering them, if you get them, post some output here.

Good Luck
DrD

I bounced the db to see what happens.
db came back up clean with no more errors. It was a quick and simple fix, but I am wondering if there are any issues with AIX 5300-07-01-0748 and 9.2.0.5

thx much

I think there is an issue. See the last part of Metalink-note 390656.1 (...AIX ML06 and above...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back