Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optivity is a waste of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJohn

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2000
US
Just got my RMA number to return the entire Optivity package. Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!

to each his own, I am in 45 buildings, over 10 miles north to south, and I need to be able to not make a house call every time

I love everyone til they prove otherwise, sadly some prove otherwise SO quickly

Jimbo,
I don't get what 45 buildings or 10 miles have to do with Optivity. Maybe I should have been more clear, at the time I posted I was just very happy to get our money back for this bundle(NMS 9.2, NCS 3.0 and VPN Manager).

We purchased Optivity to do mass router upgrades using NCS. It seems Nortel forgot to mention it was not able to upgrade new router codes or new 8600 code. Also we have Sun 2.8 as a company standard and we had to downgrade a server to run NCS.

Just not a fit for a large environment with third party sites involved. For a small site like yours it may work very well. This is just my opinion. We are now back to Spectrum.

Yep could be one of us is confused, as I use Optivity to monitor the state of my network. so far as I know, Nortel uses tftp to upgrade the router executables Although, I DID have to run SunOS for years, because Synoptics did not make a Solaris version. I love everyone til they prove otherwise, sadly some prove otherwise SO quickly

I'm confused...... Ithought Optivity was a monitoring tool.
Device manager and Site manager are for managing the hardware/software om the Bay equipment(That's how u
upgrade software/proms).

Sysmanrick,

Take a look at Optivity NCS,it is used for doing upgrades. NMS is for monitoring. Optivity has many parts. VPN Manager, Switch Manager are also part of the Optivity Suite.

In any event Nortel to back the package and gave us a refund. The NCS 3.1 package is limited at this time to 14.00 router code and we are upgrading to 14.20r2. So at this time we are upgrading 300+ routers one at a time. No fun.

The auto-discovery DOES NOT work at all on 5380 routers. I cannot delete an object and re-enter an object with the same IP address. Can't back up the database.

I am not happy with it at all. I am glad we are going to Cisco in 9 months.

I would really like some help if anyone has any advice on this.

whaleyt@columbiafunds.com

Thanks,

Tom Whaley

We too are looking at Cisco. Let Nortel know of your dislikes. Give them a chance to correct it, if they can't ask for a refund. I had four areas which could not be addressed and they refunded us for the whole Optivity for Unix Suite. Good luck. Cisco is nice, Openview and Works make life simple.

JohnJohn,

I'm not sure I would use any third party software to upgrade routers and switches!!! I would strongly recomend using tftp to upgrade the software and firmware. Take a look closly at Cisco, they make a nice router. I can almost guarantee you will lose performance(packet throughput etc) Although Nortel's utilities may not be as easy or make life as simple, unless your running things like BGP4 I wouldn't worry about going to Bay RS 15.00.

mccartha

FYI - Optivity is not a third party product it is a same party product.

Upgrading 400 plus routers with a TFTP server is not so easy. Firewalls, multi tier DMZs over 60 domain names. Just won't work.

As for packet throughtput and performance in the Enterprise class Switch/Router, Cisco's new 256k cross-bar 6513 looks real nice next to an 8660. And I can put an actual ATM blade in and it works. Nortels blade has been on the way for over a year. This is just my opinion having worked with both products.

Does anyone use a better product for network monitoring or port monitoring? I would like to somehow monitor every port on a nortel 450...

Java Device manager is free from nortel, and worth a look.
Optivity Switch Manager from nortel has a 90 day free trail, but is more suited to connecting multiple devices

If neither of these is up to your needs then I would considering arranging a demo of Optivity Network Manager

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back