Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optiplex GX270 not Booting, Floppy Drive Clicking 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2004
GB
Dell optiplex GX270 wont boot floppy drive clicks on push of the start button with both the light in the power button flashing and the light to the right of it flashing green.
the screen does not even come on.
I disconnected everything including taking out the video card. when i would turn on the computer nothing happens except the lights flash and there is a very faint humming size but that is more than likely just the fan. The green light on the motherboard is always on. Even if have just the HDD connected and boot up nopthing hapopens. Once i reconnect the floppy this 'clicking' sound starts. Its as if it is trying to reads something that isnt there. BUt even if i put a floppy disk in there before pressing the power button it doesnt make any difference.
Anyone any ideas?

Sounds like bad capacitors. That line is notorious for them. I have two running (out of 10). The others are down for the count due to bad capacitors and they are all out of warranty.

Check the boot code LEDs to further diagnose.

Good luck!

I have one that sits there flashing the lights for about 20 minutes before it finally gets the standby power up to snuff. Then it will boot and run normally.
In my case, it is a power supply thing, but not important enough right now to fix it.

The power supply in the unit has something about february 2004 on the side of it so i assume this is when the unit was manufactured. I think by now the system would be out of warranty - it aint mine and so am not sure about when it was purchased.

well i dont fancy replacing the capacitors myself so if it is out of warranty where would i get a compatible motherboard?

Try an ebay search for them. Some sellers have figured out that they can make more money off the parts than they can the complete machine.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Have a dell engineer coming out with a new board tomorrow even though it is out of warranty - figure its something to do with the fact this line is notorious for bad capacitors and they are taking a hit for them. Hope it does the trick.

Motherboard replaced:

now when the power cord is put in the power button is an amber light and flashes on and off steadily with teh other green light off.

When i press the power button the result is no different, even the psu fan doesnt move. PSU replacement?

UPDATE:

now if i take the modem and video cards out i am back to the floppy drive clicking - original problem.

and if i disconnect the floppy drive I get nothing but both the light in the power button flashing and the light to the right of it flashing green.

Then when i take the power cord out the power button flashes steadily before going out completely

I re-iterate, check the boot code LEDs to further diagnose. They are located on the back of the PC labeled A, B, C and D. They give some insight to the boot process and display a code which you can look up in the manual.

These lights did not flash or make any attempt at flashing whatsoever, the only lights were on the fron panel.

Anyway,i had another GX260 someone was using so i took it, swapped the power supply with the GX270 and what d'ye know the 270 started, after a second or two of me sweating.

So i went and bought a Dell PSU as couldnt find an alternative, for which i was ripped off by the way £64+VAT. Anyway, this solved the problem in one way - the computer now works but only with the onboard video, my video card doesnt seem to work! Would this just involve installing the drivers for said board?

Well i would do this only I have no idea what kind of card it is. i know its a Nvidia with model number P118 and also has this other number as well: D33088

this is what it looks like and these numbers can be seen on the board in the pics:

would installing the drivers, if i can find them, solve the problem? Any idea what kind of card this is?

The vidio card may have caused the PS to crap out.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Card should default to VGA ans still work if there are no drivers installed.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

anyone having bad caps on these 270's have until jan 31st to get the mobo replaced, warranty or not. just call Dell. the mobo must at least show bulging caps, if they are bulged at all, then you can claim it. most of mine are busted and leaking though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back