Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optiplex GX260 Not Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2004
GB
Optiplex GX260 when i put the power cord into the back of it the power button will flash amber for a second. But when i press the power button nothing happens - not a thing. Although the light on the motherboard itself is on. Doesnt matter how long i leave the power cord in for before pressing the power button, still nothing happens. I have also removed every connection from the board including memory and reconnected one thing at a time but still with no luck.

The power button may be bad. Disconnect its leads from the MB terminals, and short those same terminals with a flat bladed screwdriver. If the system starts, then replace the power button assembly.
If the PB is not the cause, then either the MB or PS may be bad. Swap them out. Or you can test the PS as shown here:

Just as your reply came in the computer made a noise and started. the power supply must just not have had enough power as soon as the power cord is attached but does after half an hour of being on. does that make sense?

Duplicates one of mine almost to the minute. But if I look really close I can see the front power LED flickering green every couple of seconds.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Yeah, on the front of mine I have noticed that for the half our between first pressing the power buttton and it actually powering up I have noticed the power light flashes amber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back