Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optiplex 620 blinking amber power light/solid amber mobo light

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOriginalDogbyte

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2007
US
pc wont power up, after i plug the PSU 24pin plug into a tester, the fan on the heat sink starts working. but the PSU shows to be good, im not positive about this little tester i have, the only light that didnt light up on it was the -5V. all the rest did, +5v, +3.3v, -12v,PG, +12v, +5VSB. so if the PSU tester is legit, im thinking maybe a mobo malfunction, or a short somewhere in the power button/housing. the light on the power button is flashing amber bout every 3 seconds, and the light on the mobo itself is solid amber. if i didnt have a tester, i would have guess its the PSU, still might be, but i have two PSU testers and they both say they are good, but they are cheap ones, its not like i have a multimeter and can see how much output each rail is putting off. so i dont know for sure.

hey good post, thats a good website. tomorrow ill test the PSU with a volt meter i got at home, and if that pans out, ill blame it on the mobo.

I had similar failures on a few OptiPlex SX280 that I maintain. The only solution was to have a Dell tech replace the mobo. Bad capacitors.

Hope they are under warranty.

Have Fun!

yeah i have 6 gx270's that dell is sending me new mobo's, if they have bad caps the warranty doesnt matter, these machines warranties went out over 2 years ago. but they are still honoring the mobo's. but they have to at least show bulging caps, but most of the ones i have are busted and leaking.

I worked a work study at my university's library and they had 50+ Opti's and something like 90% of them had bad capacitors on them

yeah matter of fact, i just had a worker email me this morning and i think its gonna be yet another bad cap issue. im just glad they are replacing them, you only have til the end of January though to claim them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back