Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Options Security How to Restrict Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrteacher

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2002
US
I want to be sure that the websites I put in for the likes of Yahoo Messenger and Windows Messenger my son cannot use. Problem the way I see it is that if I go to Tools/Options/Security and then Restricted Sites to put in the websites -- he will just delete them and then put them back in after he is done surfing on the web messenger sites.

Is there a way to Gray Out or for him to simply to have that tab so he cannot change what I have put in.

I am not a programmer by any means -- I am using IE7 for my browser.

Thanks - Steve

I know of no easy way to achieve this on a home PC. The best way to block TCP/IP traffic is with a router. Some home routers allow you to block websites. I suggest you look into those.
Another method would be to install software such as net nanny.
Assuming you are using XP, then ensure your son has his own username that is just a user account with no admin rights. That will prevent him installing software.
A crude method of blocking websites for IE only is to modify the hosts file and redirect sites you don't want visited to 127.0.0.1. But this would effect all users of the PC.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Ah, I see now. You want to limit/restict the sites that can be visited. To some degree, this can be acomplished with with IE's Content Advisor or [if available] Vista's Parental Controls.

Since there are ways to get yahoo messenger to operate through the browser - I need a way to stop that web page from coming up at all -- since I am not finding a way to lock out RESTRICT SITE the site(s) altogether for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back