Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optionally Enclosed '"' does not work for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISUTri

MIS
Mar 25, 2004
US
Hi, I am very new to Oracle and SQL Loader, this is actually my first sqlldr program that I have written. What I am wondering is why this does not work when it appears to work for everyone that I have found on the web.

My Control File is below
OPTIONS (SKIP = 1)
LOAD DATA
INFILE '/VendorRepository/vendor/test.csv'
REPLACE
INTO TABLE xxhh_ap_suppliers_stg
FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','
OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY '"'
TRAILING NULLCOLS
(VENDOR_NAME char,
ADDRESS1 char,
CITY char,
STATE char,
ZIP char,
NUM_1099 char
)

My Example data is
VendorName
"Jimmy, Johns", 123 somewhere, TN, 55555, 123456789

Jimmy, Johns should load into Vendor Name but when I run sql loader it ends up in the bad file.

Thanks

There should also be a log file from the SQL*Loader session which will give you an error message explaining why it ended up in the bad file.

For Oracle-related work, contact me through Linked-In.

Could be a conflict because you have a comma in the name which you have also specified as a field delimiter. 2 options

1) Remove the comma in "Jimmy, Johns"
2) delimit your fields by something else such as pipe ('|')
character and alter your FIELDs TERMINATED CLAUSE appropriately

In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

taupirho said:
Could be a conflict because you have a comma in the name which you have also specified as a field delimiter

This is exactly what OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY was designed for, so no.

Dagon's suggestion should provide the most insight.

Thanks for the responses.

It looks like there is some dummy data added on to each of my SSN's. So it's nothing to do with what i thought (The Optionally enclosed). I'm guessing these are carriage return values. When I increase the destination field length to 10 it runs fine. I've been looking to see how I can trim my data so I don't have this coming through. Is there a way to trim in the Control file so I just pass the 9 characters I want to?

One thing that may be causing problems is that the double quote character may actually be smart quotes.
<---these guys
So maybe check for that?

Thanks for your responses I found a fix to my solution. I added "TERMINATED BY WHITESPACE" after the last column. I've posted my final control file below.

OPTIONS (SKIP = 1)
LOAD DATA
INFILE '/VendorRepository/vendor/test.csv'
REPLACE
INTO TABLE xxhh_ap_suppliers_stg
FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','
OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY '"'
TRAILING NULLCOLS
(VENDOR_NAME char,
ADDRESS1 char,
CITY char,
STATE char,